Personal information is information or an opinion, in any form and whether true or not, about an individual whose identity is apparent or can reasonably be ascertained from the information or opinion. There are further special provisions which apply to the collection of some personal information which is known as sensitive information. This includes health information and information about a persons' race, ethnic origin, political opinions, membership of political, professional or trade associations, religious or philosophical beliefs, sexual preferences and criminal history. Other than member’s contact details, gender and professional information the BSGI does not hold other information on any member.
Collection of personal information by us
We are required to collect personal information in order to be able to provide our members with requested services. The kinds of personal information we collect and store will depend on the services you request from us. It may include amongst other things:
- Personal information you give us when you request a service from us. This information may include your opinion/preferences about specific services, your name, address, telephone numbers, e-mail address, credit card details
- Communications between you and us and
- Information about your use of our products and services such as your feedback on our website, meetings and educational material
How your personal information will be used
We collect your personal information so that we can use it for our functions and activities which include, amongst other things:
- Processing your requests
- Being aware of any special product and service requirements you may have
- Providing you with confirmation of your orders and advising you of any changes to our products and services
- Confirming your identity when you contact us
- Addressing any feedback or complaints you may have
- Answering any queries you may have; and
- Any purposes for which it was requested and directly related purposes, and developing, improving and marketing our products and services
Exchange of personal information with third parties
Personal information we collect from you may be disclosed:
- To any entity to which we are required or authorised by or under law to disclose such information;
- To others that you have been informed of at the time any personal information is collected from you;
- To our associates and others for purposes directly related to the purpose for which the personal information is collected;
- To BSGI management and personnel
- To our professional advisors and other contractors (for example IT consultants and mailing houses); or
- With your consent (express or implied), to others
We may also obtain personal and other information from some or all of the above to enable us to provide our services or products to you. When we obtain personal and other information from third parties whom we are referred to by you, we will assume and you will ensure that you have made that third party aware of the referral of the persons and purposes involved in the collection, use and disclosure of the relevant personal or other information.
Use and disclosure of personal information by us
If we use or disclose your personal information for a purpose (the “secondary purpose”) other than the main reason for which it was originally collected (the “primary purpose”), to the extent required by law, we will ensure that:
- The secondary purpose is related to the primary purpose of collection (and directly related in the case of sensitive information), and you would reasonably expect that we would use or disclose your information in that way; or
- You have consented to the use or disclosure of your personal information for the secondary purpose; or
- The use or disclosure is required or authorised by or under law; or
- The use or disclosure is otherwise permitted by law (for example, as a necessary part of an investigation of suspected unlawful activity).
Collection of information other than personal information
If you visit our website, some of the information we and/or our contractors collect about your visit to our website is not personal information because it does not reveal your identity.
Information of this nature can include:
Site visit information
When you visit our website, we and/or our contractors collect general information about your visit which may include your server address, the date and time of your visit, the pages you accessed, the information you downloaded and the type of Internet browser you used.
We and/or our contractors may use this information in anonymous, aggregated form, for statistical purposes only, to assist us in improving the quality and usability of our website.
A cookie is a small string of information that a website transfers to your browser for identification purposes. The cookies we and/or our contractors use may identify individual users. Cookies can either be “persistent” or “session” based. Persistent cookies are stored on your computer, contain an expiration date, and are mainly for the user's convenience. Session cookies are short-lived and are held on your browser's memory only for the duration of your session; they are used only during a browsing session, and expire when you quit your browser.
We and/or our contractors may use both session and persistent cookies. This information may be used to personalise your current visit to our and our contractors' websites. Upon closing your browser, the session cookie is destroyed. Most Internet browsers can be set to accept or reject cookies. If you do not want to accept cookies, you can adjust your Internet browser to reject cookies or to notify you when they are being used. However, rejecting cookies may limit the functionality of our website.
Access and correction of your personal information
You can access your personal information that we and/or our contractors hold from the BSGI website. You may also write to us asking for access to your personal information that we and/or our contractors hold and in this circumstance we may charge you a reasonable fee for this. We may also not be able to require our contractors to provide personal information to you.
It is important to us that the personal information we hold about you is accurate, complete and up to date. If you are aware that this is not the case you should log on the website “My Details” and correct the information without delay.
If you have a complaint about the way we have dealt with your personal information, please contact us at email@example.com and we will make all reasonable attempts to respond to your complaints or requests.
Please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any queries about the personal information that we hold about you or the way we handle that personal information.
Policy updated June 2012
Case of the month
On reading this case of the month and associated articles as well as answering related questions, the participant will;
1. Expand his/her knowledge on the spectrum of sy...
Click here to view the minutes from previous meetings.
Two day meeting on 4th & 5th June 2015 at Central Hall, Westminster, London
Read more >
A one day meeting attracting 5 RCR CPD points
Read more >
5th May 2017
The next AGM will be held on Friday 5 May at the Nicolson Building, University of Birmingham. Send your agenda items to email@example.com
15th April 2016
The next AGM will be held on Friday 15 April at the RCOG. Send your agenda items to firstname.lastname@example.org